PREP: 5 min.
COOK: 0 min.
This is not “the” classic afternoon tea cucumber sandwich. The classic is rather bland and leaves out the dill, and the cream cheese, thus it is toast & butter & cucumber. Well…
Some cover the cucumber slices with salt and leave them for some minutes to extract some water (like in good quality tzatziki). I don’t believe it is needed if you eat the sandwiches almost immediately.
But the tzatziki thing leads us to the simple alternative to just put freshly made tzatziki between your bread slices. Wow – another sandwich is born…
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1/3 Cucumber peeled (serves two, four slices)
- Cream Cheese, softened
- Butter, softened or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced dill, alternatives: mint, 1 crushed garlic clove
- freshly ground white pepper & salt
- Mix cream cheese, butter and dill together until soft and can be spread easily
- Cut cucumbers into 4 mm planks
- Spread mixture on both slices of bread covering the entire slice
- Lay cucumbers on one slice not overlapping
- Lay top slice on and press down
- Cut & present to your liking